in 1/32 scale
from page [H7]
A few years later I got a couple of additional old Hasegawa 1/32 kits of the F-16A. It was decided to make a model of the F-16A as operated by the Fuerza Aerea Venezuela (FAV).
I had obtained a special decalsheet from "Colorful Decal" set 32002 from 2006. It had very nice marking for a FAV F-16A with "20 years" F-16 ops in the FAV of the Group 16 "Dragones".
kit was assembled similar as seen on the previous
Hasegawa modelling report [H1 etc.].
I did not bother to put too much effort in cockpit detailing as the canopy would be set closed with a pilot figure. Closing the canopy saves a lot of work as on previous kits.
The FAV F-16A's
have the later common and standard larger stabilizers. The kit parts were
enlarged at the trailing edge with card, puttied and sanded.
I had casted a couple of resins tail with the thin base (as for early F-16's) that could be used. The FAV F-16A tail has a parachute housing with fitted small fairings, probably for small RWR antennas.
bay extension is seen. Some small fairings will be fitted much later after
Model assembly was basic with all panels closed, ventral fins fitted and all gaps filled with putty and sanding needed. Only some panellines are recessed. Gears and stores and details were not yet fitted.
Initially FAV F-16A had colours with Fed.Std 34079 dark green, 34102 green, 30219 tan and lower very light surfaces. Later on, colours changed after major maintenance to about 31092 dark green, 34373 medium green and 36642 sand/tan, again with almost white under surfaces.
For this model I used the later scheme Gunze Sangyo acrylics as (in this order) :
The colorful "20 anos" tail requires careful planning to get it right. Although there are full decals supplied, the blue colour varies over the tail. So the loose decals on the sheet are to be used to get a better result.
(1) The first step is to mask the surrounding tail areas on the fuselage (with low tack tape and paper).
Continuing with the tail....
(4) Apply the base black checker decals for the tail base. At the rear, I had to remove about 3 mm. Apply also a decalsoftener to get the decals wrap around curves. I used MicroScale Set and Sol. The decal are very good and thin. Also apply the large "dragon decal" and the red upper tail tip decal, (painting the red section is also possible if you prefer that);
The result is
a very spectacular tail!
Now the remainder of the decals can be placed. Luckily the "Colorful Decal"s are very good and also the fine medium grey walkway lines are there which is very nice.
on the "Colorful Decal"
F-16a decal 32002 instructions sheet has a few numbers mixed up:
After decal application it was time to complete the remainder of the kit.
The two fairings at the tail parachute pack were added. They are probably radar warning receivers. Bits were used from the spare box. They were painted green.
To have a "used"
effect PROMODELLER wash was applied inside the bays and on the undercarriages.
The missing battery pack was added in one bay as well made from a bit of
I first thought
that the cockpit opening, that is a bit too LARGE in length on the kit,
would hardly be noticeable with closed canopy. But it was better tio make
it smaller as seen
here on page
The very basic ACES ejection seat of casted metal as supplied in most Hasegawa F-16 kits was simply used as canopy would be set closed. I found it necessary to cut away 3 mm of metal at the rear to have a better tilted fit. I sourced a nice 1/32 pilot figure from my spares box, probably this an Academy kit figure. The legs were "removed" to make the pilot fit in the seat and tub. From masking tape seat straps and harnesses were made and some spare metal buckles added as well. Will be painted olive drab for the pilot suit and light greys.
The canopy was set closed as noted first and it fits pretty good. A HUD display was added on top of the instrument coaming. Inside two handles were added from stretched sprue inside the frame as these are visible. Some white glue was used to fill the canopy-fuselage gaps and when dry some camo paint airbrushed at it using the very fine Harder Steenbeck Infinity airbrush. Masking was not needed as a piece of carton was held by hand to protect surrounding areas while airbrushing the paint.
Also, the nose
discharging strips were forgotten first, but very apparent on FAV F-16's.
So these were applied made from stretched sprue and set on with super glue.
The nose was airbrushed again "panzer grey"using Revell Aqua 78.
weathering was done at some spots. With a paper hand held mask some "long
strokes" were applied with the fine airbrush with some dark grey acrylic
paint in it. Areas are the long flap hinge gaps, slat gaps and the maintenance
panels on top of the fuselage. Also at the wing fuel tanks and aft of the
gun nozzle. The effect is subtle but very good.
From the spare box I retrieved an AIM-7 Sidewinder of an earlier generation. It was set on the left wing tip launcher.
lights from the kit as well from a bit of clear plastic were set on tail
end, aside the launchers and at the main air intake. They were painted
transparent red and blue with Tamiya clear paints. The nose pitot tube
and temperature probes were set as in the kit.
The small static
dischargers at the trailing edges of wing, stabilizers and tail were made
from thin flexible copper wire. At their end a blob of white glue was set
and after drying the discharger painted black.
Currently the country which was once one of the richest countries in South America due to large oil exports has large political and economic problems which an incredible inflation. A large portion of the population has fled to surrounding countries.
flying over the Venezuela coast...... the camouflage works!
I hope you liked these models using the older Hasegawa kits.
Back to 1/32 models
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands.
|Created this page
September 12, 2014;
update Summer 2019