Several Gripens were also sold many years later for export to Czechia, South Africa, Hungary en Thailand. Over 250 Gripens have been built.
is the J-39E with two seater -F which is in fact a much newer
aircraft. It has more advanced systems, a single screen cockpit, more
fuel capability, extra pylons and the new main gear also
retracts in the wing and fuselage. Sweden has ordered the type and
Brasil has signed a contract (with first delivery October 2021).
some notes on the TOPGUN kit)
|ALSO CHECK OUT THE OLD 1/32 REVELL GRIPEN...|
Italeri Saab JAS 39 Gripen (Revell)
Gripen JAS 39A kit #008 has about 80 parts in the usual Italeri
style with good but soft plastic and clear instructions. The surface details
are quite accurate and the dimensions are correct.
Stores included with the pylons fuel tanks, Sidewinder missiles, Mavericks and it seems an ECM pod. The gunpack is a separate part.
The kit also has been issued by Revell
with kitnumber #4611, but both are still single seaters. The only difference
are the decals. (do not confuse it with the later
Revell kit #04999 issued in 2014).
- The nosebay and cockpit tub must be carefully centered in the forward fuselage as otherwise they will not be symmetric.
- The wings are best glued first to
the fuselage left and right part, so do not cement the lower wing part
- The intake splitterplate #21A on the right side has two edges moulded on, the left one #23A not. Slightly remove some material from the edges of #21A and add two small edges on #23A. This will enable you to get a good fit of the intakes on the fuselage.
- All the pitot tubes are best cut-off and replaced by metall needles.
Finally, the kit requires slight amounts
of filler at especially the intakes, the lower fuselage-wing joints and
the fin to get it all right.
kits to built and not be to missed by Swedish AF enthousiasts.
The Gripen model now was to being painted. I saw somewhere that the official colours are according to the Swedish NCS1950 system SIS 5502-B and SIS 3502-B. I used these approximations as FS36373 (using enamel Humbrol Hu34) for the lower areas and FS36173 (using Hu156) for the rest (upper).
Masking was done with some tape. The reference color charts of Urban Fredricson of IPMS Sweden were used.
|The model is now complete. The excellent
decals as provided in the kit of a service aircarft are used.
the completed model, nice to have in the collection...
NOTE: Revell / Italeri also issued a dual version of the Gripen later on, using the same basic kit
Later on, Italeri
did a re-issue with kit #1306 in about year 2011.
excellent new decals for 4 schemes:
told me that Italeri also has a two seater Gripen in both 1/48 and
1/72, and the 1/72 kit was also issued by BILEK; the JAS-39 B was in
kit #1216 issued around 2001 and was for a first generation two seater
without refuelling capability and older systems).
On to next
Gripen [ Page 2... ]
A short note on the TOPGUN resin kit:
Dual (two seater)
The resin Gripen kit issued by TopGun
(kitno #43) in 1/72 provides a Dual two seater kit, and the most noticeable
differences between this kit and the Italeri/Revell injection kit offering
Cross-kitting it with the Italeri/Revell kit is very difficult as the part breakdown is very different. It is therefore recommended to correct theresin kit in detail and to built it on its own.
Nowadays much better plastic kits are available
(information provided by Bas Damen, 2001)
References about the Gripen:
- Air international vol 33, page 224 , Vol 44, page 072
- Air international vol 75, page? special.
- Flight international 1990, number 4232, page 90
- World Air Power Journal, volumes 20 (pages 30-50) and volume 42 (pages 60-100).
- Saab Gripen, Keijser, Aerofax, 2003
- Saab Gripen, Golabek and Barcz, Topshot series #48, 2009
- JAS-39 Gripen, Photo Hobby Manual #1003, CMK, 2007
- Air international vol 33, page 224
, Vol 44, page 072
|Back to models.......|
(c) Copyright Meindert "designer"/ All rights reserved. Your comments are welcomed by webmaster
Created February 3, 2001;
last update Sept 2021