Soviet BlackJack bomber in 1/72 scale making the AModel Tupolev Tu-160
| .. continued from page 2...
The wing pivot area needs some special attention.
The engine pods need a lot of filling and sanding to get a smooth result. I discovered that the engine pods are not perfectly symmetrical. There is not a lot that can be done about this as the fiberglass basic fuselage/engine shapes can not be altered as they are very very stiff.
After sanding , priming and checking the "missing" panellines were re-scribed with an Olfa P-cutter tool.
Next step as to apply a white overall
coat. Also the many wheels can be seen here. These need a lot of work!
Some panels were given an "off white
finish" and metal finish as the real Black Jack.
Next, all the landing gears were added. This was not an easy task as you need to get a clearly aligned gear with all wheels touching the "ground".
First the legs were fitted and aligned. To get some strength, some extra plastic rod and metal rod was used at the connecting areas with the lower fuselage wheel bays.
nose gear with "anti debris skid" attached; this was refined with thin metal wire
The wing pivots can be used. First,
I made sure the round gaps were large enough. The pin parts #142 were to
thick and large. I concentrated on using the parts #145 and 146. The are
tapered and do not mix them up. The surfaces were thinned with sandpaper
in order to make the pivot plates flush with the bordering wing glove.
No problems were encountered. The only problem was that I found the dihedral angles different between the outher wings. I inserted some plastic strip in the wing gloves to get a symmetrical dihedral.
The wings were not glued in place,
they can still swivel. The hinged inboard gap cover plates (seen here left
in the picture) were added. As these had obtained hinges made of
thin wire, they are still flexible.
The kit decals are quite OK and thin.
I decided to use these as the scheme is very colourful and nice to see.
The title means "Ilja Muromets".
After soaking a decal, I made sure
to remove any glue on the decal backing. Before putting the decal on the
model, I applied some Johnson Future on the surface with a brush. The decals
was set into position and the brushed used to conform and press it on the
surface. This will remove any tiny air bubbles and will avoid any silvering.
Finally, the model got a very thin
coat of Johnson Future with some added Tamiya
matting agent to get a semi mat finish. This will also protect the decals.
A picture of
this real plane is seen below here (courtesy Aviapress) :
Back to 1/72 jet models
|Back to 1/72 jet models .......
(c) Copyright Meindert "designer"/ All rights reserved. Your comments are welcomed by webmaster
Created this page:
May 12, 2005