Nieuport 21 in 1/32 scale 
[ Page 2 ]

1/32 scale Academy Nieuport 17/21
World War I Aircraft
modelling report
 .. continued from page 1...

As the Dutch air force Nieuport biplanes had an overall aluminium dope look, no separate painting of the wings nor fuselage was required (as may be needed for camouflaged of biplanes with lozenge patterns). 
This enabled the net step of adding and glueing all the wires with generous lengths (say 10 inch each) in the upper wing. Once set in place, the wires were cut off with a sharp scalpel at the upper edges. The gaps were filled. 

The upper wing as stuck on the fuselage, together with the lower wing halves. 

Next, the struts were set. Make sure that everything is symmetrical and parallel. Next, after ample drying time, the wires (made from fishing wire) were rigged to the already drilled holes in the lower wing. The wires were set on tension through hanging clothes pegs.

The horizontal tailplane with elevator was also set onto the fuselage. The pitch rods of rudder and elevator were set as well and the control cables (from fishing wire) set. Each wire was kept on tension while the wire set with the glue under weight using cloth pegs. When the glue is dried and set, the extra wire was cut away. 

All small wire gaps were filled and sanded on the outsides of the airframe. 

The outsides now got a light grey paint layer with the airbrush to check for any flaws. Some corrections were done where necessary. 

The interior at the pilot cockpit were painted various shades of “wood”, using brown hues with the paintbrush. 

The Dutch AF Nieuports have an overall aluminium finish. With the airbrush, coats of alu zilver dope paints were applied. The engine area got some hues of metal and aluminium as well. The rudder got a coat of white. 

The Dutch “Luchtvaart Afdeeling” planes had large Orange balls as National markings. The were cut from large orange decal sheets. I used a MORN compass cutter. (Alternatively, use the Dutch Decal set 32009). 

The plane number N215:R80 has a very nice bird on the fuselage side.  The number was scribed with a permanent marker. 

The bird was painted, using pictures, on a clear decalsheet, painting a couple of the until I was happy with it. The sheet was cut to size and added to the model.

All decals got a protection layer of gloss varnish using Johnson Future (Pledge / Klear)

Final touches:
-the machine guns from the kit got some details using for the barrel a plastic hollow pipe. Some black paint wash was added as well.

-the wheels have some wires as well and although closed, the wires were made from some thin plastic rod . 
-the cowling exhaust pipes were made from open hollow plastic pipe cut to size. 
-the pilot seat got some belts made from tape and adding some metal buckles as well. 
-the propeller was painted with oil paints. Than I added some wood grain using a brown pencil. The prop then got a final coat of FUTURE. 
-the wire tensioners were made by drops of white glue on the wires and painted black. 
-the model got a bit weathering by added a mix of FUTURE and Brown acrylic paint in some areas and on the tyres some “grass” from a railroad scenery set was set as well. Aft of the engine, a black oli/smoke mix was sprayed on. 
- the wheels and struts got some straps made from brown painted tape. 

And that’s it. 

A simple but nice Nieuport 21 biplane of the “Luchtvaart Afdeeling” is now in the collection. 

Back to 1/32 Models.......

3KB back to home
(c) Copyright Meindert "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands.Your comments are welcomed by  webmaster

Created this page 
3 April, 2011