Fleet Air Arm 
De Havilland Sea Venom


FAA  models in 1/72 scale kit review and modelling report
 

De Havilland Sea Venom , carrier based fighter-bomber  , 
This kit is from Toko (similar, seems to be ex-Frog and re-boxed with new decals sheet) 

Brief history
The Venom was developed by De Havilland Aircraft from their earlier Vampire, which had been the second type of jet fighter to enter service with the RAF. In need for a fighter of higher performance de Havilland's responded with the Venom. The Sea Venom was the naval version of the RAF's Venom fighter-bomber. 

The Sea Venom was developed for naval service as the FAW.20 and 21, being based on the two seat NF.2. It had  folding wings and a strengthened fuselage with arrester gear. The Sea Venom was in service from 1954 to 1960 and was the Navy's first all-weather jet fighter. 
Large numbers of Venom night fighters and Sea Venoms (about 400) were built at the de Havilland factory in the mid 1950’s. Royal Navy Sea Venom's and RAF Venom FB.4's took part in the Suez Operation of November 1956, attacking Egyptian airfields and convoys. The box top of the TOKO kit shows this. The Sea Venom remained in service with the Royal Navy until replaced by the de Havilland Sea Vixen in the early 1960's.
 
Some technical data Sea Venom: 
Wing span  12.71 m
Service ceiling 48,000 ft
Length  10.10 m
Max speed  920 km/hr
Engine:  DH Ghost 48

More info here: http://www.neam.co.uk/venom.html
  

The TOKO kit
The kit has about 50 parts, many of them needing clean up as the moulds originate from FROG. The decals are very good with some colour schemes to be chosen. 

The canopy of TOKO is very thick, so I got a vacuformed thin replacement canopy from AeroClub.

 

There is no real interior in this kit so with some card and rod an interior was made. I also cut off the tip tank fins as they are much too thick.
 
Please note that the root intakes needs special attention, see drawing of the root intake above. I inserted air flow guiding vanes toward the engine front using thin plastic card.

please note that cockpit detailing will be at a later stage. 

Alignment of the tail booms requires care, take slow drying glue and align. Let dry at least 24 hrs. 


Some sanding and filling is needed at their connection points. The nose needs some weight to prevent "tail sitting". After major assembly, I re scribed some panel lines using an OLFA P-cutter as these are not engraved and after that sanded the model smooth. 

olfa

I also sawed in the flaps and ailerons to get a good look. Also, replace the very thick gear doors with some card plastic.
 


The kit got a light grey coat to check any flaws and after correction, the coats of Sky and Dark sea Grey were applied. 

The lower details of the kit, with new gear doors from card. Aft of the cockpit seats, an avionics compartment was made with boxes as seen in many pictures. The seats came as per kit , but with extra details made from some card and stretched sprue. Further cockpit finishing will be done after painting with straps etc. Instrument panels were made using home made decals.

The Air International Vol. 39 no 2 of August 1990 acted as a reference. 

 
The landing gear, new wheels came from the spare box. The kit parts are rather crude.

On the tip tanks, a small fin was added from card. A pitot was added on the left vertical tail leading edge. (Note: only the prototypes to my knowledge had the balans masses on the stabilizer, so these were not added). 

The canopy was also to be installed later on (from Aeroclub).

Final markings came as supplied in the TOKO kit. The decals are excellent. I selected the plane from HMS Albion, WW153 from 809 NAS naval squadron. FAA around 1956.
The markings of the plane have a scarlet (deep red) tail panel and black tip tanks with a white lining. On the boxtop, the plane is seen with "Suez" invasion stripes; as these are not provided as decals and I could not find any pictures of this particular finish, I used the scheme and decals as suggested by TOKO.

The Sea Venom model was similarly finished as the other FAA models, and the model was decalled after it got a gloss coat of Johnson Clear varnish. I used also DACO decal setting fluid to get the decals conforming to the underlying surface.

After ample decals drying time, the model got another coat of matt Johnson Future, realized by mixing into the varnish some Tamiya Matting no. X21 "flat base" agent. A semi mat end effect was achieved.

The tip tanks were opainted with a paint brush, the white striping also applied with a brush. The canopy with set open with its framing also painted. A small windscreen wiper was added from sprue.

I had some trouble with the red stripings silvering, so apply amply og gloss coat first and DACO decals setting agent.

The cockpit hood was finally attached and I still wonder how pilots got into this plane!  It must have been a very crampted and hilarious excersice to get in. 

And there she is... a nice little Sea Venom !

 
Back to FAA page  

Back to 1/72 Models.......

3KB back to home
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands.Your comments are welcomed by  webmaster
Created this page January 17, 2005