F-14 Tomcat U.S Navy 
[ page 2 ]

Fujimi model in 1/72 scale: kit review & modelling report  
The F-14A model has now been painted and most major parts are now in place. The model is very fine and the result up till now very pleasing.

I found some small things to be corrected:

-(1)- the seat floor (#95) was positioned (probably by accident by me) too much forward, the forward seat once placed in position would leave a very small room for the pilot. I removed the seat rails from the seat (#77) and thus could get some 2 mm more space. The mid instrument coaming (#50) thus also need some cutting in order to fit but gave no serious problems. Small gaps were filled with white glue.

-(2)- The canopy etched parts were a bit oversize, especially #XB-2. I trimmed it, otherwise the fine details with the mirrors is very nice indeed. 

-(3)- The wings were set in the forward position with extended slats and drooped flaps. A small hole was still present near the inboard flap and the fuselage glove, forward of the "rubber bags" (parts 5/6). I covered it with white glue and painted it grey as the bags.

The wings and all parts fit very nicely and the model gave no further fit problems. I still have to work on the hinge for the radar and its nose, which I want to show it closed or opened upwards optionally.

Next will be the placement of decals. I still have numerous older sets from Microscale (such as data set 72-119) and other F-14 Tomcat kits and will search for the best individual decals.   

The decals as supplied with the kit went on fine; I always apply water based "paper" glue to the surface before sliding in the soaked decal. Than press on the decal with a brush and cloth and it prevents air bubbles being trapped. 

The kits decals nosteps were replaced with spare ones from the decals-box with the words "no steps" separated. I also wanted to have the larger stars and bars VF-84 "older style" scheme on this model, so replaced the smaller ones of the kit. In order to prevent the dark black/yellow striping near the cockpit to shine through the white area of the stars, I applied a small "withe"  decal underneath. Carefully cut and apply the separate decals around the opened steps and ladder area..

The leading edges of the wings, stabilizer and vertical tails were given a strip of aluminum coloured Bare metal foil. It gives nice results and is easily applied. Use a sharp new blade to cut the foil and apply with its self attaching backing glue. 

The various "stores" were also decal led, with excellent detail striping and stencilling being provided in the kit for the Sparrows, Sidewinder and Phoenix missiles. Four Phoenixes, two Sparrows, a single Sidewinder and a fuel tank were attached to the model.

Total recalling time for this kit was about 6 hours, so there is a lot to be done, but worth every effort. Turn on a good soccer (american football for our guys from the U.S.A ) match on your TV set and decal your model at the same time. During soaking a particular decal, you can watch the game....

After a day of drying of the applied decals, the model was give a protective coat of Johnson Future clear varnish with a wide brush. 

The radar cone was set open to display the radar. It hinges upwards.

And there the Tomcat is, nice and shining with a spectacular scheme!

Back to 1/72 models...

1  2 


 3KB back to home
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved. Your comments are welcomed by  webmaster

Created this page Dec 25, 2002