1/32 scale Hawker Sea Fury with the Hobbycraft kit
1/72 scale models... look here....
review / Building report
The Sea Fury has not been available in this scale through an injection moulded kit before. In the past vacuforms (such as ID models) could be obtained and the excellent resin Fisher Model and Pattern kit was available but at quite some cost.
Mid 2008 Hobbycraft of Canada came with a Sea Fury FB.11 kit which was more than welcome for large scale builders.
A look at the kit
COLD WAR FIGHTER Kit no. HC1716 box
NATO DEFENDER Kit no. HC1718 box schemes:
I got the NATO DEFENDER kit.
Improving the kit
1. The fuselage shape in front of
the windscreen has two flat facets and these should be round; this can
be solved with sanding. The slope of the area is interpretable but looking
at pictures is OK also. Misinterpretation is also a bit caused by the inaccurate
shape in the canopy and windscreen;
2. The cockpit tub opening is way too small; remove the area aft of the strange seat "head rest" and add with some card a better representation of this area.
3. The cockpit interior is very sparse to keep kit costs low with only floor tub, seat, control stick and very basic instrument panel. Doing some detailling yourself is a good option as typically for those days the interior is mostly black so not a lot of detail will be seen. But as noted, the Fisher Model and Pattern cockpit set with resin parts and very nice seat was the solution (also includes much improved canopy).
4. The oil cooler intake located on the port wing is a too shallow.
5. The propeller which is assembled with a hub and separate blades and spinner is very inaccurate.
The spinner is also way too small
and gives the overall kit a somewhat inaccurate feel. I bought the Fisher
Model and Pattern propeller set #AHC3 to replace the kit
6. The wing upper profile curve is a bit too flat and in addition the main wheel bay is too shallow.
In addition, further detailling was done to the Hobbycraft kit in this scale such as adding some rivets details and filling some heavy panellines in areas.
For this kit a nice Dutch MLD scheme
was picked and I opted to make the MLD Sea Fury with code "6-26" of the
Royal naval air service "Marineluchtvaartdienst" MLD 860 squadron with
orange propeller spinner. It is a nice scheme and I had a couple of pictures.
Look at the 1/72 Builds of Sea Furies
Building the Hobbycraft Sea Fury kit
- Obviously, work was started with assembling the purchased Fisher cockpit set. It also has sidewalls and this required removing the rib detail on the cockpit insides of the kit.
The Fisher cockpit set is very nice with lots of detail. The instrument panel got dials and some paint on red and green was added. Later on it was seen that the instruments are very well hidden by the hood and you really need to look well to see them.
Some details of etched metal:
The cockpit opening aft of the kit
headrest was made much bigger in both fuselage halves:
- The lower oil cooler on the port
wing is too shallow. This was solved by cutting it out from part #B1 and
making it more prominent with some card and putty.
- The main wheel bay was made more
deeper. I added thick strip of card of 3 mm high to have a deeper bay and
bended the upper wing halves to a more profiled shape. The bay and also
the inner surfaces of the gear doors were detailed with styrene strips
of Evergreen. The details are not that many but some is there. (you can
buy another Fisher set, but with some rod and strip you can easily detail
the bay yourself).
NOTE: I forgot
to glue part #E29 assuming there was a leading edge light. There is none,
so fit and fill.
- The wing aileron edges were sawed in to give a better look to these.
- In the fuselage halves it was decided
to open the panels aft of the exhaust pipes. These are movable panels that
enable extra cooling of the interior if required.
- The aft tail wheel well was boxed in with card.
- The two fuselage halves were mated together and the assembled Fisher cockpit put inside. Some strips were added to get more strength here. The fit of the improved wing with its deeper bay and curved profile was OK but it will need filler in the upper wing root area.
- The kit engines' face bulkhead does not need any extra work as almost nothing can be seen and the propeller covers a lot of this area. The fit of the engine cowling is excellent.
- The kit propeller parts were not
used, the prop was the much better one of Fisher.
- The tailplanes were not yet assembled, this will be done after applying the paint scheme as they fit well and need no filler.
- The landing gear was left for alter after painting and decalling.
Two small fairings were added from
card and putty aft of the wheel bay:
The overal airframe was now assembled
and it all went together reasonably well:
The Fisher windscreen was masked with
tape for protection, set onto the model and some minor filling was needed.
When this seemed OK, some black pre-shading will be done at various panels. This will give a better look later on when the final coats are applied.
To next [
2 ..... ]
|Look at the 1/72 Builds of Sea Furies|
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands.Your comments are welcomed by webmaster
|Created this page February 14, 2009|