Saab Draken model in 1/72 scale
Back in 1950, the Swedish Air Force set out a specification for a new jet fighter with a top speed of Mach 1.8. Saab from Sweden came with a proposal with Project (R)1200 and later the Model 35. The design had a double delta layout as it was thought that high speed performance combine with a relatively good field take-off and landing performance would be a good compromise. It would also have to be relatively cheap to operate by "neutral" Sweden and have sufficient range, not an easy task for the time with high fuel burning jet engines. The aerodynamic design was troublesome as the high speed Mach aerodynamics were new for the time and it was decided to also make a small design test plane, the Sqaab. This was a 70% scale testbed. This resulted in 1952 with a further project go ahead that eventually led to the Saab J-35 being referred to as the Draken (Dragon in Swedish).
Several variants would appear such as the first J-35A from 1960 and the fully operational interceptor J-35B. More powerfull engine variants of the Svenska flugmotor RM6, which was based on the Rolls Royce Avon engine, appeared as well. A trainer version was the Sk-35C and later the Sk-35XD. The J-35D had redesigned intakes and better systems and became in 1963 operational. The J-35E was known as the S-35E as it was a reconnaisance version with change nose and camera's in the wing. The J-35F was a much improved interceptor with newer systems, better visibility canopy and better RM6C engine with new afterburner. The port wing canon was deleted and it could carry RB27 semi-active radar missiles and AIM-4/26 Falcon missiles. The J-35F-2 also later got an infrared sensor pod below the radar nose (later retrofitted to all J-35F planes). It became operational in 1965 and was the backbone of the home Swedish Air Force.
Several export variants also appeared, the Draken being exported to Danmark, Austria (J-35O) and Finland.
a further improved J-35F having upgrades to systems, strengthened wing
able to carry additional armament pylons and became available around 1985.
It also could carry the AIM9 Sidewinder missile. About 66 planes were upgraded
until eventually replaced by the Saab Jakt Viggen and Saab Gripen
|In 1/72 scale, several models of
the Saab Draken appeared:
Airfix: kit 2039 of late J-35F; old kit but reasonable; IR sensor too small; fueltanks 4 mm too short in length; simple cockpit, thick pitot; has missiles.
Revell: old kit H189 with Acro Delta team and H4381; old kit with many faults;
Revell: new kit , similar to Hasegawa, so OK.
Heller: kit 255 also has parts to make a two seater and recon version; wrong shaped fueltanks, canopies too high; Twoseater only correct for Danish aircraft; recon version should have 2 camera windows each side for Danish version;
Notes on the J-35J kit (no. BP3):
I started with spraying some parts while still on their sprues, eg. various coats of white on the doors, gear legs and wheels. Also, some parts were sprayed metallic. After drying, moved on to assembly....
From step 8, add the small fairing
D4 below the aft fuselage.
I also made very small notches open
on the wing leading edge at the Delta root for the two small anti-collision
Now before adding
detail parts, use limited amounts of putty/ filler. Especially on the nose
fuselage sides and aft tail cone filler is needed. Sand and check for gaps.
Add a coat of light grey primer.
early seat 73SE-F and late J-35J
- striped dark blue and green camouflage
sports KFF 438 (about FS 35042) and KATF 325 (about FS 34086).
So, now apply first the desired paint
scheme with an airbrush.
Next, apply the excellent Hasegawa kit decals as provided.
After the decals dried for 24 hours, I added some very limited wash in the recessed panellines. Usually I use the black wash from PROMODELLER
STEPs 5, 6, 7, 8, 10
Check out the Draken successor, the
Decades ago I made the Heller Draken kit. This kit #255 also has parts to make a two seater and recon version; it seems that it has wrongly shaped fueltanks and the canopies are too high. If you want a twoseater, what is supplied is only correct for Danish aircraft; the recon version should have 2 camera windows each side for Danish version;
I made the model as a Danish S35XD, the reconnaissance version. The camera nose was used and a few extra camera holes made. Also the Danish version retained 2 canon in the wing. I added an arrestor hook and the low visibility lighting strips.
The rest of the model was made rather straight out of the box. The overall colour is British Standard BS 381C "Olive drab 298" for which Enamel Xtracolor X112 can be used. The airbrush was used. Some fading was done by added light grey paint in the olive drab base colour and airbrushing some panels in this lighter colour.
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands.
|Created this page May 13, 2009.
Updated 10 July 2015