AIRFIX TSR-2 model in 1/72 scale
|... from page
Some views of model during construction
The rear fuselage was sprayed metallic.
- Step 20: only XR220 has the boogie strut which is correct.
- Step 25: I had to shorten the struts #51 + #52 about 2 mm in length. The main legs should be fitted now.
- Step 26: the part #65 suggests a blanking cover for test equipment in bay. It should be painted orange.
- Step 27: the main gear doors and rear nose doors were set "closed" and do not fit perfectly. I found out too late. It would have been better to set the doors in place at an earlier stage and sand them flat.
It was now time for the decals.
- Around the canopy windows, metallic edges were painted. The inside of the canopies was painted light grey. The canopy windows were given a slight hue of "gold" suggested with very thinned transparant Tamiya Yellow acrylic paint.
- the vertical and horizontal stabilizer show small gaps with the airframe when fitted, some white glue for gap filling will improve the looks.
- the wingtip anto collision lights are not mid-chord but at the leading edge tips.
- some panellines were slightly depicted with a fine brush and rivets shown with a toothpick with "off white" paint.
- you may add red exhaust and intake
coverplates to give some extra colour to your model made from card.
The XR220 prototype was picked. Here
is the result....
Despite some problems, a nice kit and far better than my 25 years old 1/72 Contrail Vacuform kit.
Back to 1/72 Models.......
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands.
Created this page January 10, 2009