1/72 scale kits of the Short Tucano
review / modelling report
The Brazilian Embraer company developed for training the EMB-312 Tucano in the nineteen-eighties for Brazil. I remember seeing it being tested at Embraer many years ago when I was at San Jose Dos Campos as a student.
The Royal Air Force also needed a new trainer, particularly for their Strikemaster. The RAF thought that a nex advanced propeller aircraft would be a good option but wanted several adjustments to the basic Embraer design. Shorts in Belfast grabbed this opportunity with both hands and made an agreement with Embraer for an improved Tucano. The type got an uprated Garrett TPE331, four bladed propeller and a lower air brake and strengthened structure. It also got an advanced cockpit enabling better pilot transition to the follow up jet Hawk trainer. Also ejection seats were installed.
started in 1987 for the RAF T.mk1 version. Deliveries to the RAF ended
1993 with 130 aircraft delivered. It is extensively used for training with
maintenance being subcontracted.
Airfix has issued many year ago a nice 1/72 model of the Short Tucano. It is a straight forward build, and the model was made as per instructions.
The kit decals are bad. The decal
roundels were non useable, the red dots being off center, replacements
The exhaust pipes were drilled open.
It was a bit difficult to get all the needed nose weight into the nose to avoid a model "tail sitter". Small chunks of led were cut and dropped inside the nose (which nose I forgot to set on the model before painting...).
Most work with the kit is to apply the colourfull decal scheme of white, red and grey wing panels. First, the overall model got a light grey base coat. After that, with the airbrush the white coat was applied, followed after masking with the red and the grey.
The following paints were used:
The flying surfaces (ailerons, rudder, elevator and flaps) got theire edges cut in with a TIGER razor saw. This looks much better on even a small model.
I forgot to add the nose... this was
done, and needed some filler
The propeller painting was quite some
work. I used a small painting guide using a piece of paper with markers.
As the kit decal roundels were non
useable, replacements were obtained from an XTRADECAL roundels set.
After applying, the decals as per instructions, the model got a decal protecting coat of Johnson Future with the airbrush.
For the canopy, I used a thin AEROCLUB
The cockpit go some extra detail from
scrap plastic. Most details are black. The seats go traps made from decalstripes
A nice addition
to my British Trainer Model collection.
Back to 1/72 Models.......
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands. Your comments are welcomed by webmaster
|Created this page
March 12, 2013