Soviet BlackJack bomber in 1/72 scale making the AModel Tupolev Tu-160
The wing pivots can be used. First,
I made sure the round gaps were large enough. The pin parts #142 were to
thick and large. I concentrated on using the parts #145 and 146. The are
tapered and do not mix them up. The surfaces were thinned with sandpaper
in order to make the pivot plates flush with the bordering wing glove.
The wings were not glued in place,
they can still swivel. The hinged inboard gap cover plates (seen here left
in the picture) were added. As these had obtained hinges made of
thin wire, they are still flexible.
At some areas, the panellines were
accentuated with an artist pencil but do not overdo it. The model had already
gotten some areas of "off white" panels and some metal spots.
Markings and decals
The model was ready to receive its decals. I decided to do this first before fixing the wings.
The kit decals are quite OK and thin.
I decided to use these as the scheme is very colourful and nice to see.
The title means "Ilja Muromets".
After soaking a decal, I made sure
to remove any glue on the decal backing. Before putting the decal on the
model, I applied some Johnson Future on the surface with a brush. The decals
was set into position and the brushed used to conform and press it on the
surface. This will remove any tiny air bubbles and will avoid any silvering.
Finally, the model got a very thin
coat of Johnson Future with some added Tamiya
matting agent to get a semi mat finish. This will also protect the decals.
A picture of
this real plane is seen below here (courtesy Aviapress) :
Back to 1/72 jet models
Back to Tu-160 Black Jack page
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands.Your comments are welcomed by webmaster
Created this page :
October 14, 2005