Mirage III Model  would be made
in "traditional" old style French markings. The red intake markings were
used as provided by the excellent Revell decals.
The EC 2/13 ALPES scheme as
shown in the book of Breffort & Jouineau
selected as it has a nice colour scheme and tail markings. This meant that
a number of kit decals could be used, but also I had to make the "Alpes"
markings. This was done with a combination of coloured sheet, white Bare
Metal decalsheet for the inktjet printer; After printing and
drying, the decals were given a coat of special Microscale Decal
Film to protect them. For the Escadre unit markings various decals
were retrieved from the decal spares box and trim coloured decalsheet used
The overall model had obtained several
coats of the ALCLAD II and this is very gloss after polishing it with a
piece of cloth. Take care to avoid fingerprints, so handle the model at
the dark nose cone and rear tailpipe only.
Decalling in progress....
The decals came mainly from the Revell
kit. I always apply a bit of JOHNSON FUTURE
(later called PLEDGE) on the back of the decal after it is removed from
its backing paper, and apply than; this will prevent silvering.
Details of the nose and main gear
seen above. With pieces of card and stretched sprue, details were added
such as braking wires, actuators and also the anti-swivel braces were made
from some card. The tyres needed a bit of putty and sanding but are otherwise
Tyres were painted "tyre black", hubs
metallic. Some washing done with a mix of FUTURE and black acryllic
paint, this provided some depth on the legs and bays.
The canopy looked OK at first but
was not very clear (mould errors inside the plastic). There is not much
that can be done about this: I dipped the whole canopy into FUTURE
and carefully let the canopy dry.
The canopy got a couple of mirrors
and a handle cut from spare thin etched metal.
Also the Alpes squadron unit markings
on the tail can be seen.
Upper view. After applying the stencilling
and roundels (mostly from the kit), these were given a light "overspray"
of ALCLAD metallic aluminium (same colour as the overall colour). This
gives a very convincing effect.
The flap edges were given a bit of
a darker wash with acryllic. The navigation lights as supplied in the kit
need some extra work as they do not fit well. Use a fine file and a bit
of Micro Kristal Klear to get a better flush fit and Tamiya transparant
The ALCLAD II metallics were polished
for a last time with a piece of cloth. Than the overall model got
a light coat of FUTURE to protect shine
The pitot tubes came as last items.
The nose pitot tube has a particular shape on the Mirage III. I used the
front end of the kit part but also a piece of metal rod to get a better
appearance. The two small pitot tubes (although in the kit) in front
of the windscreen were made from a piece of card and rod.
As I had no good missiles in this
scale, these were not (yet) fitted on the model.
The Mirage III
of the "Alpes" ... a nice result I think.
French AF of
EC 2/13 ALPES as based on Colmar in 1965... Note the alps mountains in
the background. Just joking.. this is the model
Model  of the Australian Mirage
III O of the ARDU meant that a number of kit decals could be used,
but the ARDU tail markings had to be made
The scheme is seen in the book of
Breffort & Jouineau drawings (although it has some small errors). With
a search with Google on the internet you will find real pictures of the
The ARDU symbol was also found on
the internet; it was scaled in the photo editor program to the correct
size in 1/32 and 4 copies printed on white decal sheet for inktjet printers
from Bare Metal foil.
After printing and drying, the decals
were given a coat of Microscale Decal Film to protect them. I used 2 copies
for each side over eachother after applying the black and yellow striping
in the tail.
[ NOTE DECEMBER
10, 2006: Flying High Decals released the ARDU decals
in their set: - RAAF Mirages Parts 1-9
already had finished my model ]
Some decals such as the serials were
found in the spare decal box.
The resin seat of High Planes is
seen installed here. The seat got green and blue cushions and para packs,
the straps a mix of brown and grey. Seat buckles came from an etched metal
set and the seat got a black wash.
The overall plane of the ARDU is
in reality obviously kept in very good condition and has almsot no weathering.
Only the flap panels and gear legs got a little black wash.
Note the rear panel with emergency
rescue arrow and panel. It was drilled open, painted and got a little Micro
kristal clear. The opened up camera windows in the nose were closed using
Microscale Kristal Clear as well. They got a protective coat of Future
Here you can see the instrument cover
panel and seat. The canopy was hinged by using very tiny metal rods that
keep it into position. A small hole was drilled in the fuselage spine and
the model canopy is transportable.
The nose gear also got some details,
similar as the other Mirage III model.
also note the
added detail onto the insides of the nose gear door.
Here you will see some extra work
done on the tailpipe with metal rod and thin pieces of plastic. The whole
was given a metal look.
some views of the end-result.
plane from a special unit.
[ click for large image ]
So... a couple
of 1/32 scale Mirage III kist. Hope you like them.
III [ Page 1]