||Review / Modelling report|
Albatros in 1/72 scale kit review and modelling report: EDUARD kits
... continued from
I made a 1/72 scale Eduard kit many years ago as a Czech AF L-39 as seen here.....
But additional kits were bought of this very nice Eduard L-39 kit and its basic construction has been described on page 1..... A number of models will be made.
The Eduard kit #7416 for a L-39ZO was finished in a scheme for Lithuanian Air Force. The national markings came from a Hi Decal Line set HDL 72-019.
Colour scheme is very simple with an overall grey scheme. Used was probably grey FS36306 for which Gunze Sangyo 307 acryllic paint is accurate enough for me, it was applied with the airbrush.
The cockpit canopies would be set open, so adding some extra details in the cockpit is worthwhile. So resin seats came from PAVLA. Remarkably, the Eduard seats of the kit are very large and too high, so indeed these are better replaced.
The canopy frames were also painted and on each canopy a fixed handle is seen so 2 in total on the port left sides, these were made from thin sprue. Also, the canopy actuators were added inside from metal rod.
The windscreen was painted and got
a black anti-glare panel.
Other kit finishing was similar as described for the other models with a dull varnish coat. Final installment was the undercarriage as well as some small antennas. Adding static dischargers completed the model.
Another Eduard kit was made. It was to be finished as L-39CM trainer in a scheme for the Slovak Air Force. Decals came from Model-CZ decalset MCZA72004 with special markings on the tail. The national markings are "toned down" with grey outlines.
Colours airbrushed were acryllic paints:
The model was finished with various
details as well as the model described above.
Seats came from PAVLA. Additions are
also anti-collision light and smaller antenna on the spine. The L-39CM
is a trainer, so the model was kept "clean" with no underwing pylons nor
Another Eduard kit #7418 for a L-39C was made in a scheme of the Hungary air force.
I had from a KoPro kit #73159
(which is the old KP kit) very nice decals for a L-39ZO of the Hungarian
Air Force for 2 nice schemes. It was decided to put these decals on this
The scheme B is for a L-39ZO coded "135" Capali as seen at the Kecskemet air show in 2007. It required masking of several colours. I made a paper copy of the decal sheet and used this as pattern for masking. This is important to avoid a sort of over flow as the decals should conform to the camouflage pattern outlines.
Colours airbrushed were acryllics:
The blue pattern on the upper nose was airbrushed with Gunze Sangyo H25 blue. It is not solid but blends into the lower white fuselage. The various smaller anti-glare panels were airbrushed matt black.
The decals themselves are very thin, so take care here. The nose shark teeth decal was cut in half and trimmed to fit better. The tail edges were also painted red to match the decals.
were first established after the end of World War I in 1920, before that
it was in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. After the Second World War, it became
part of the Communist Eastern Block with armed forces through the Warsaw
Pact. Large numbers of Soviet aircraft were used by the air force.
|Back to 1/72 models|
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands.Your comments are welcomed by webmaster
Created this page
June 5, 2016