Fleet Air Arm 
Supermarine Attacker
[ page 1 ]


FAA  models in 1/72 scale kit review ? building report
 

Supermarine Attacker , carrier based fighter bomber , 
This kit originates from Frog  but was copied by Novo. The kit I used here was obtained from the USSR, the origin not being readable in cyrillic. It has kit number I-330 and I think it is the NOVO kit though.

Rob told me that the cyrrillic text probably means: " Fabrika Igrushek" in "Donyetsk" . DFI purchased many Frog molds, including the one numbered  U-3542 for the Attacker

Brief history of the Supermarine Attacker
The Attacker developed from a Royal Air Force (RAF) fighter jet project, the E10//44. Supermarine offered a navalised version of the design to the Navy. The design of the Attacker used the straight-wings of the Supermarine Spiteful. The Attacker suffered from a number of deficiencies which made it a less than successful aircraft. Just one such deficiency was that the Attacker had a tail-wheel undercarriage, rather than a nose-wheel undercarriage, thus making the Attacker difficult to land on aircraft carriers.

The navalised prototype first flew in June 1947, three years after the RAF Meteor. The first production aircraft entered service in 1951 at No. 800 squadron. It had four Hispano 20mm cannons. It was powered by a single Rolls-Rolls Nene Mk. 101 turbojet. The Attacker had a speed of about  590 mph and a range of just under 1200 miles.

The FB.1 was used as a fighter-bomber with rockets below the wing. The FB.2 has a updated engine. Not more than a 100 Attackers would eventually be built for the Fleet Air Arm.

The Attacker had a very brief FAA career taken out of first-line service in 1954. Between 1952-53 about thirty Attackers were sold to the Pakistan Air Force and these were operated until 1960. 


The kit
It has only about 17 parts! But is can be made into a nice model. 
First, I got a replacement canopy from AeroClub.

Assembly of the kit was straight forward with some small corrections. Inside the intake I added a piece of card to prevent see "through". Some filler is needed in areas. Cockpit will be detailed with some sprue and card later on. After assembly, some panellines were engraved and the model sanded smooth.


The main wheel wells got some detail from strip and I did not cut out the inboard doors as these are very small and hardly seen. The smaller doors will be made of thin card and added later on.

See note below about the tail plane!




After a light grey checking coat, the Attacker got its Dark Sea Grey and Sky coats with an airbrush. The lower details can be seen here, with new gear doors and the canon barrels added. The aft double wheels were obtained from the spares box. Also not the small antennas and pitot tube.

The front windscreen needs some filling and adjustment. White glue is used for that.


The main gear legs were made from a metal paper clip for strength and the wheels came from the spare box.



I got some information from Sten from Sweden regarding the Attacker. Thank you Sten!
The kit can be improved in several areas, but the most noticeable is especially that the stabilizer tail plane span should be increased by 2x5 mm. I cut off the stabilizer tips and replaced them with thin card sanded in shape.

I will finish painting later on and will add trim tab etc. Tail plane was fitted with small trim tabs and a small light was fitted on top of the exhaust pipe.

Also, small intake scoops were added made from some card on top of the fuselage. The exhaust pipe got a small tube cut off from and old bomb.
 

some details in the cockpit.

On to next  Attacker [ page 2 ] ....

Back to FAA page 
 

Back to Model pictures.......

3KB back to home
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam The Netherlands.Your comments are welcomed by  webmaster
Created this page January 17, 2005