F-105 model in 1/72 scale
TRUMPETER: kit building report & review
The Republic F-105 Thunderchief was designed in the mid fifties as a high-speed fighter-bomber. It even had an internal bomb bay that could carry a nuclear weapon but the F-105 was particularly used in the old fashioned bombing role during the Vietnam conflict. The F-105D was the most common single seat version. It was deployed to Europe as well during the Cold War.
Also a two-seat F-105 variant was developed with a navigator / system man that enabled accurate bombing. The F-105F was used as basis forthe F-105G Wild Weasel that was used to suppress enemy radar and attack SAM missile sites. ECM pods were fitted on the lower fuselage sides. The type was used until 1980.
After issueing large 1/32 scale F-105 kits, Trumpeter also came with F-105 models in 1/72 scale at end of 2008:
The accuracy is a bit of a question,
the noses of the F-105 models look a bit too pointy and the vertical fin
on the F-105G a bit too small. It was decided however to do a straight
out of the box build. Otherwise, the pile of kits never gets finished....
OK, lets start...
The cockpit parts are OK, but I replaced the seat with resin PAVLA seat set #S72049. Also, the cockpit will benefit from additional detailing. The tub sits deep inside the fuselage so is not very well visible.
First, complete the overall assembly before fitting the undercarriage to prevent damaging these parts. Do this at step 15.
The fuselage ventral fin a much too thick, so sand thinner.
Inside the fuselage, I missed an exhaust
pipe fan. Also the pipe should be fitted more aft.
The wing-fuselage joint was OK, but
the radarnose fit of the fuselage needs filler. As noted, the nose is a
bit too pointy but it was used as per kit.
The gear leg doors #B11, B16 have
no details inside, so inscribe some details. The wheelhubs shape is not
very accurate but I used the kit parts anyway.
Overall, the assembly was straight
forward. Nicely done panel details and rivets.
The vertical tail/fin is also too
small for a two seater Wild Weasel. But I simply made the kit as is.
The F-105G Wild Weasel decals were only partly used as a MicroScale set was used that I had in my decalbox.
I suggest to check reference books
and get additional or other decals from for example MicroScale/ Superscale
sets #72-456 and 72-368. Also, the blue in the US Stars-and-bars is too
blueish. replace these markings as well. The USAF marking is also
The F-105D got a metal scheme as per kit scheme "A" using ALCLAD II paint system.
A gloss black base coat was applied
with the airbrush first
as per ALCLAD instructions. The olive coloured panels like on the spine
were first masked and sprayed. After drying, the ALCLAD II gloss aluminium
ALC-105 was applied with the airbrush.
The decals were applied as usual,
but many stencils were replaced by better ones as noted above from MicroScale.
The canopy frames painted and final
small details like antennas added.
The model of the F-105G Wild Weasel was given a scheme in Vietnam style camouflage, using:
FS34102 medium green using Mr.Hobby Gunze Sangyo acrylic #303
FS34079 green drab Gunze Sangyo acrylic #309
FS30219 brown Gunze Sangyo acrylic #310
FS36622 lightgrey / white Gunze Sangyo acrylic #311
Microscale set #72-456 had
nice markings for the US Air National Guard 128 TFS at Georgia, called
"Peach" around 1983. It was the last operational F-105G.
.... and some pylons and stores added with the result....
Two nice 1/72 models in the collection,
although not perfect they are nice next to my over 20 years old Hasegawa
|Back to 1/72 scale models.......|
(c) Copyright "designer"/ All rights reserved/ Amsterdam
Created November 23, 2012